The Power of .NET Error Reporting #
One of our long time customers, ApexCCTV, recently described how Exceptionless' .NET error reporting allowed them to find and squash a bug that was causing their website to be completely unusable by some customers.
Because of the e-commerce development environment being used, this issue would not have been brought to their attention without the implementation of Exceptionless, making this a prime example of how powerful the tool is and what it can mean for all types of .NET web applications.
What customers were experiencing #
"After a site upgrade, every page of the site was crashing if the customer had been previously logged in." - ApexCCTV
So, if a user had selected the "keep me logged in" box the last time they logged in, prior to the update, nothing was working for them.
The cause #
When a customer logs in, a secure cookie for that user is created behind the scenes. The code update had changed the format of the cookie, but not the name, so when a user visited the site with the old cookie, the authentication was breaking. This was throwing errors and crashing the site for the customer, but because the development team clears cookies regularly, and no one had reported any issues, the exceptions were flying under the radar.
The fix #
Exceptionless logged and reported the error, and the fix was easy - simply change the cookie name so that users were forced to get a fresh cookie the next time they visited the site. Bam, done! Users could then happly log in and buy security cameras without any issues.
There could be, and a lot of the times are, errors like this in any .NET project, and using a real-time exception reporting tool like Exceptionless can really be an asset, saving time, money, and customers.
Server Features #
- Added ability to copy extended data to the clipboard.
- Added ability to copy stack traces to the clipboard. This is very useful when you have an obfuscated stack trace and wish to decode it.
- Added ability to purchase yearly billing plans.
- Added the ability to consume the rest api with an
apikey query string parameter.
- We now show friendly error messages when an error occurs while downgrading or upgrading billing plans.
- Numerous improvements to the project configuration page.
- Numerous bug fixes and performance enhancements.
Client Features #
Update your NuGet packages to take advantage of these improvements!
- Added support for MVC5 and Web API 2.0.
- Improved the detection and ignoring of duplicate errors to prevent them from being reported.
- The client now excludes dynamic assemblies from the modules error report section.
- AddObject now serializes objects to a depth of 5 by default.
- Fixed a couple bugs that may occur when multiple client instances are running on the same machine concurrently.
- Fixed a bug with the ExceptionlessWcfHandleErrorAttribute where it wouldn't catch errors when aspNetCompatibilityEnabled was set to false.
- The client now submits errors to collector.exceptionless.com/api/v1/error.
- Fixed a bug that would prevent the Windows Form client from showing the Crash Report dialog.
- Fixed a bug where multiple HttpModule sections could be added by the NuGet installer.
Exceptionless is a new error reporting service that helps you answer important questions about the software that you build.
- Do you know when and how your app is failing?
- Are my users running into issues and walking away?
- What are the top issues that I should be fixing?
- What issues are affecting the most people and would give me the highest ROI when fixed?
- Is my app getting more or less stable with each release over time?
The definition of the word exceptionless is: to be without exception. Our product provides real-time error reporting for your apps. It organizes the gathered information into simple actionable data that will help your app become exceptionless!
You can integrate Exceptionless into your application in a matter of seconds and start getting the answer to all these questions right now! It’s simply a matter of adding our library and setting your sAPI key.
Exceptionless gives you a look at your application health and allows you to take a closer look at how oftern errors occur. You can dive into a specific error stack to get detailed information about an error. You can also mark an error as fixed or hide an error completely.
We believe that all app developers should strive to be Exceptionless and that’s why we are offering a FREE plan! It’s easy to get started, so what are you waiting for??